Born in 1808, Felix Bostic married his wife Nancy Myers. They had eight children.
Before coming to this area, he was an indentured servant who ran away from his abusive boss. Eventually, he bought a large tract of land, now known as Bowdertown. He later sold off several parcels and donated one to the church in 1870. The church was originally named The Church of Bostic. A few years later it was renamed The Bowdertown Evangelical United Brethren Church. Later it became known as The United Methodist Church before it closed in 2012.
The church sign was found in the hand-dug basement under the church. Unfortunately, it was too fragile to be salvaged.